|Dale's Potato Crusted Ham 'N Cheddar (1958)|
all-purpose potatoes, cleaned, peeled, and quartered (~8 oz)
|4 tsp||extra-virgin olive oil, divided|
|1/2 cup||scallions; chopped|
|1 clv||garlic; crushed|
|1/3 teasp||fresh ground black pepper|
|1/3 teasp||sea or kosher salt|
|1/8 teasp||cayenne pepper or hot sauce (or to taste)|
|3/4 cup||smoked ham -- finely chopped|
|3/4 cup||grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese|
1. Position oven rack at the lowest level. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.|
2. Cover potatoes with cold water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Drain and recover with cold water. When cool enough to handle, corsely grate the potatoes. Transfer to a bowl. Add scallions, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper; toss with a fork (not hands) until well mixed.
3. Coat a 12-inch pie plate or cast-iron skillet with 2 tsp. oil spread evenly over the surface. Spread half of the potato mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with ham and cheese. Spread the remaining potato mixture over top, pressing evenly. Brush the remaining 2 tsp. oil over the surface. Bake until the underside is golden and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Carefully loosen edges with a thin metal spatula or a knife. Shake the skillet to be sure the potatoes are sliding freely. Invert a serving platter over the pie plate or skillet. USE HOT PADS: Grasp the platter and the baking dish and carefully turn over. Remove the pie plate or skillet. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife. Serve hot or at room temperature.
5. Divide into 12 wedges for side dish; into 6 to serve as a main dish.
|[an error occurred while processing this directive] Visitors to this recipe since Dec/26/2006|